Feedback from Group Critique

Coming up to project hand in, this week my class had to share our progress online over Teams. This was a way to get to know how other people had approached the project and give constructive criticism to highlight any areas that could be improved. I don't often share my work with others in the class as I'm normally focused on the next steps but coming out of my comfort zone and talking to other creatives was fun and helped build better connections. It was very beneficial to see my work from other perspectives as its easy to get wound up (and frustrated) when you're looking at the same composition for too long! It brought up things I hadn't thought of. 

In turn, I helped other people with their compositions, layout and spot illustrations. This was interesting as you could see other styles and how they took inspiration from the 3 film choices in completely different ways. Some designs were very graphic and comic-book-like while others used colour and pattern to reflect the themes and characters. Before joining the group critique I filled in a report form to gauge my progress and help others figure out what I had completed and was working towards, also a place to ask from inspiration if necessary. Here, you got a better idea of where people were at and what they needed help with. A few of the conversations I took part in are seen below.  

Feedback I received

Feedback given

Feedback given

Overall there was a positive response, peers though the designs were inclusive and captured themes/iconography from 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' well. They thought there was continuity between the spread and cover which is good as I was struggling to link the two. Some constructive criticism was that there could be some information missing from the spread, like run time and rating so I’ll look into this and find ways to include a star rating. Additionally, I had comments on the colour saturation, although I didn't oversaturate the image, the inks are very bold so I understand where they're coming from. I’ll look at desaturating the colours which could work better with the muted double-page spread. 

It was beneficial to get this feedback and see things from different perspectives, I wouldn’t have thought of altering the saturation. I enjoyed reviewing other peoples work and helping them, it was interesting to see the different approaches and getting to know people’s styles. It also helped me finalise artwork and I now have a better idea of which designs I want to take forward. Luckily I still have about a week to make any alterations if I want to but for now, I feel a lot more positive about where I'm at.


Comments

Popular Posts