3D Visualisation Project Reflections and SWOT Analysis



A few weeks ago, I handed in my 3D Visualisation project. Through the projects duration, I participated in weekly 4D Cinema workshops, learning how to construct 3D shapes using tools like extrude, to pull out faces or edges, and the spline tool to create vector paths, in preparation for constructing my final noodle box set. Since I usually work traditionally, it was a challenge to visualise how the panels would piece together and change my mindset to working with a 3D approach. The workshops helped my understanding of how to construct things professionally and I’ve found it beneficial for testing landscape concepts. I'm glad I had the opportunity to explore this as I think it will benefit me in future projects and make me think differently about creating character, so they can be translated into a 3D form.

With such a unique project (to construct and illustrate a set of 3 noodle boxes), it showed me a different avenue of illustration I don't usually get to explore. With this, I took the opportunity to look at the origins and Japanese culture in detail. My research lead me to Japanese artist, Utagawa Hiroshige, whose woodblock prints influenced my landscape development. I was inspired by his use of bold colour being a recognisable feature of Eastern packaging. This was something I wanted to portray through my designs, inspired by the insight into being a Japanese citizen and part of the diverse culture Hiroshige visualised. Although I hadn’t experienced Japan first hand, I had photos from Epcot in Disneyworld Florida where I took photos of the Japanese and Chinese pavilions; these helped advance my choice of colour and design seeing the branding/packaging in the shops. Below are my final designs of the Japanese landscape snapping across the 3 boxes in contrasting blue and red colours. I love how they turned out and I’m glad I pushed myself to utilise the time and alternate brief to develop the ability to compose landscapes. With this, I’ve broadened my portfolio and now feel more confident moving forward. 
Design Page: Triptych Landscape, Sticker Sheet and Concept





Final Designs


SWOT Analysis

Strengths-
  • Well approached considering I'd never visualised illustration for a 3D purpose! I enjoyed the unique brief and experimenting with traditional Japanese designs and limited colour schemes.
  • I enjoyed looking into the history of the noodle box and how different places have rebranded the design. I was inspired by the original two-toned colour schemes so focused on red and blue, taking influence from Japanese artists and their heritage.
  • Initial moodboards provided inspiration for the colour schemes, type and style, seeing how other brands had approached the design and rebranded it to suit their companies.
Weaknesses-
  • Struggled using 4D Cinema during the digital workshops as I don't usually think too much about making things proportionally accurate however I benefitted from the tutorials and have a better understanding of the basics, it will take time to learn like any digital software but it was a good start.
  • With such a narrow outcome, it was harder to explore than previous ones as there wasn't as much to go off in terms of thematic research and context. Luckily, I was able to learn about Japanese heratige through artist research and looking at photos to gain a better understanding of the outcome I wanted to create. 
Opportunities-
  • Could be marketed to Chinese supermarkets of packaging suppliers, opportunity to explore packaging further.
  • This step into graphic design has allowed me to explore a different avenue of illustration for commercial production. Creating packaging that can be mass-produced and appeal to all audiences; something I continue to research given I'd like to work in the children's book industry in the future. 
Threats-
  • The timeframe was a lot shorter for this brief therefore there wasn't as much time to develop ideas before producing the finals however I think I coped well and managed to produce everything I set out to do in my action plan.
  • Contextual Studies module running along side this one divided my time so it was harder to keep on top of the blog as well as this project. Its good preparation for after university when I might have a few projects deadlines overlapping. 





Comments

Popular Posts