SWOT Analysis and Target Setting

Based on the past few weeks of development, I've broken down my strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. With this SWOT analysis, I can look back at the progression I've made to see if I've kept on top of weekly goals. I'm currently in week 6 of my final project with 2 weeks until hand-in. Due to the current circumstances, deadlines have been extended for a further month to allow people extra time. I've been working to a good time plan and feel confident that I'll be able to hit the initial 7th May deadline, however it's nice to have the extra time in case I want to add any further research or illustrative work.

So far, I've finished all artist research and response work influenced by both their styles and themes/descriptions from Goodnight Mister Tom. I think I have successfully linked the artist and context research to my development which has benefitted my illustrations and use of materials. In my action plan, I aimed to have all research completed and be working on the final stages of idea development, with at least 3 concepts to take forward. This project has been different to others in the sense that it can be interpreted in many ways, looking at prominent themes in the book: love, friendship and heartbreak to name a few, you could draw inspiration from any of these themes and end up with varying outcomes. I like the freedom this brings and feel its good practice for tackling briefs in the creative industry with limited information.

Strengths:
  • Good use of media testing; inks, digital collage, etching, sketchbook development showing how I was influenced by artists such as Jon Klassen and Anna Bond.
  • Flying Magazine research with etching response work, research page in my sketchbook with experimental collage using a WW2 Evacuation Poster.
  • Use of primary imagery with Beamish Museum and British Countryside contact sheets.
  • Good time management by following my initial Action Plan.

Weakness:
  • COVID-19 limiting contact with tutors and access to college facilities such as the large Epson Printers and Risograph Printer
  • I haven't been able to source primary research from Gallery/Museum visits so relying on photos I've previously taken and online research. 
  • Could have experimented with more printing materials, such as monoprint, lino print.

Opportunities:
  • Further development into book cover designs using paintings and illustrations I've produced. 
  • Luckily, there's a wide range of materials I can use at home. 
  • Through research of artists and styles, I have a better understanding of the direction I want to take, this will help me in future when design book covers and benefit my final portfolio of work. 

Threats:
  • Possibly time management and not knowing what medium to use for the final design. This shouldn't be an issue with the extended deadline due to the COVID-19 pandemic and my ability to keep to the time scheduling in the action plan. 











Comments

Popular Posts